WS I: Open Data Requirements

Tuesday, 3rd July 2012, 10.30 – 12.30
Animator: Anneke Zuiderwijk, Technical University Delft

In the last years the value of opening up i.e. publishing government data has been acknowledged increasingly. However, at this moment, the deposition, access and use of open public sector data is often cumbersome and could be improved. The aim of this workshop is to exchange knowledge and ideas about the status of open data, its benefits and challenges and user requirements. Based on a questionnaire that was conducted among open data users, the organizers of this workshop will put forward several propositions, which will provide the basis for an interactive discussion among all participants. Subsequently, the presenters show the interim results of the questionnaire and the results of an extensive literature review on benefits, barriers and challenges for the use of open data. Finally, the e-infrastructure for open data that is being developed in the ENGAGE project, which is based on the user requirements, and some of its most important functionalities will be shown. This e-infrastructure can be beneficial for the participants, for instance because it may help them with conducting research or making policy decisions.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Challenges for the use of open government data

The most important challenges for the use of open government data concern:
    - Fragmentation of open data
    - Lack of access to open data
    - Lack of interoperability
    - Difficulties with processing of data

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Admin →
    • Important requirements for the use of open public sector data

Very useful but also very difficult actions with regard to using open government data are:
      - Finding open public sector data
      - Discovering and browsing datasets on different levels in the own language;
      - Getting training or help on the use of open data;
      - Providing feedback by rating the data
      - Providing feedback to the data producer by putting needs
      - Uploading datasets; and
      - Uploading processed, enhanced, extended, annotated and/or linked datasets.

Those actions might be the most important requirements of open data users.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      • focus on supporting the following actions for using OGD: statistical analysis, academic publications, data linking and policy research

A questionnaire on open government data that Delft University of Technology is currently conducting reveals that open government data is most important for the following purposes: statistical analysis, academic publications, data linking and policy research. Therefore, I suggest to focus on supporting those purposes, for example by adding considerable metadata and providing certain tools for linking and visualizing data.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)